How to Switch Your Pet to a Raw Diet
This couldn’t have been made any easier with our pouches. All our flavours are balanced and complete cat food which mean that your cat can have a different meat to vary its meal.
Transition from processed food to raw diet
Switching to a raw diet allows you to know what you are feeding your cat. You will feel much more comfortable knowing the wholesomeness of each ingredient you feed your cat.
Kittens need no transition; they take to raw food like ducks to water. Special kitten food is not necessary. They eat the same food as adult cats, just more of it and more often. Kittens need about twice as much food per ounce of body weight as an adult. All that growing to do! They need to eat more often than adults, about every 4 to 6 hours. If you’re getting a kitten(s), start them off right with a raw diet, and you won’t have to worry about transitioning them.
The key to transition for an older cat is patience. The transition can be fast or very slow. However long it takes, stick with it, it’s well worth it.
When Switching from processed food or dry food diet remember the following
- Be very patient as this could be a slow process
- No matter how long it takes, stick with it it’s worth it.
- Never switch diet instantly but instead mix the current - diet with some of the raw diet.
- Providing your cat with a variety of raw food is recommended.
- Ideally before serving, the raw meat should be at room temperature as sometimes cold food can upset the stomach of your cat.
How much raw meat and bone diet should you feed your cat?
- Food portion should be around 2% to 3% of the total body weight of your cat.
- Food portion will also depend on your cat’s appetite as one day they might ravish their bowl and the next day they will eat half of their meal.
- Kittens of 9 months can eat twice as much per gram of body weight as an adult cat as they are growing.
- When feeding your cat set a routine whereby the food is given in the morning and in the evening, preferably at the same time each day.
- Remove any un-eaten food after 30/45 minutes.
We have added some interesting videos for you watch.